One of the hottest certs in Information Technology is the Cybersecurity Analyst, also known as the *CySA+.
What makes the CySA+ cert unique is that it is not generalist; rather it focuses on the analysis of threat data. For example, IT professionals who aspire to get this cert typically must perform at least three major tasks in their job-related duties. The professional must:
- Possess the ability to configure and deploy any type of Cyber threat detection tool (this would include firewalls, network intrusion devices, routers, etc.)
- Be able to perform high level as well as detailed analyses from the data that is collected from these tools
- Use this data to ascertain the Cyber threat environment and present to both internal and external stakeholders in a clear and succinct manner
This may seem to like a lot, but those IT professionals that have this skillset (as well as the CySA+ cert) are expected to be in one of the fastest job growth categories, at a rate of almost 40% per year. Best of all, the median pay for those having this cert is at over $90,000 per year.
What gives the CySA+ cert the competitive edge is that it is both fully recognized and supported by the Federal Government and Corporate America. For instance, it meets the ISO 17024 standards, and is completely approved by the Department of Defense (DoD).
The following matrix provides a high-level overview of the CySA+ exam, and what to expect from it:
|Exam Registration Code||CS0-001|
|Total Number of Questions||85|
|Type of Questions Asked||Multiple Choice / Lab Simulation Based|
|Time Limit for Exam Completion||2.75 Hours|
|Grading Scale of Exam||100 Minimum / 900 Maximum|
|Minimum Score Needed to Pass||83.3% (750 / 900)|
|Minimum Recommended Work Experience||4 Years|
|Registration Cost of Exam||$346.00|
Here are some other tips to help you prepare for the CySA+ cert exam:
- You should be very familiar with the network analysis tools of Wireshark, Bro, and Snort.
- Your related work experience should include a knowledge of network threat management, vulnerability management, and network intrusion detection/response.
- You should have a working knowledge of XML, and a baseline understanding of C and C++.
The CySA+ cert is valid for a three-year time period, and can be maintained by earning the requisite number of Continuing Education (CE) credits.
Finally, the recommended study guide is the “Cybersecurity Analyst Certification All-in-One Exam Guide.” It is a paperback book that is currently available at a discounted price of $41.69 from Amazon.
At Ascend Education, we offer a great online training program to get you prepped and ready. Contact us for more information.
* The CySA+ was previously called the CSA+; the official change will transpire on June 29th, 2018.